Saturday, January 12, 2008

Physics, huh? Are you a nerd or something?

The reason I teach physics is that I find it fascinating. To see that the world around us can be described with neat little mathematical equations is amazing to me, and I'm thrilled with way everything fits together. I love to take things apart to see what makes them work, to see the ingenuity and creativity of the people who design things. I took physics in high school and realized that it seemed to be made for people with the "how does it work?" curiosity like me. I like to be able to think about a situation, apply and few principles of physics with a bit of logic and be able to explain what's happening. I love the logic and reasoning that goes with science, and to be able to describe the world with mathematics is fascinating to me. Math is to physics what grammar is to literature: the rules and principles upon which the subject is built. It's really very elegant and quite pretty. I guess that makes me a nerd, but whatever.

No comments: