Thursday, January 31, 2008

Competition Thoughts

So my first solo competition of the year is coming up... see the counter for exact time remaining. I'm playing at the New Hampshire Indoor Contest in Concord, NH on April 5; they have four events in grade 2: piobaireachd, 2/4 march, strathspey/reel, and 6/8 march. For both the piobaireachd and 2/4 march I have to submit 2 tunes, and the judge will pick on the spot which one I will play. That means I need to have 7 tunes that are competition ready on the day of. It's a lot of work being in the higher grades!

I haven't been able to put in much time on the pipes lately, and I don't foresee that changing drastically over the next few weeks. A few of my tunes still need some work on the practice chanter, which is about all I've been able to give them recently. I was doing pretty well and playing the pipes for half an hour at least each day, but that has fallen by the wayside lately. I need to get back to it; it feel good when I'm playing regularly.

No comments: