Saturday, October 25, 2008

Some funny (looking) guys

I like to laugh.  Pretty much anyone who has met me know that I like to laugh, and I like to make other people laugh.  When I was younger telling dirty jokes was one of my favorite things to do, and though I enjoy tossing around a slightly off-color quip now and then I like to think my comedic taste has become somewhat more sophisticated. 

There are some people who are really funny.  Stand-up comedians like Robin Williams, Richard Pryor, and Eddie Murphy are really funny, and some of what makes them funny are their liberal use of colorful language.  Search YouTube for any of those guys, just be warned that the videos are very NSFW.  Behind the swear words are, however, really funny things.  It's true the swears are gratuitous, but they add shock value, and even if you remove them what's left is still pretty funny.  A current comedian who tries for the same effect is Rodney Carrington, but I really don't think he's funny.  Remove the bad language and what's left barely qualifies as communication.

It's possible to be a stand-up comedian and still present a family-friendly act.  Like him or hate him, Jeff Foxworthy doesn't really swear in his acts and what he has to say is pretty funny, even if it is somewhat generic comedian subject matter (sex, rednecks, wife, redneck wife, kids). 

In my opinion the really funny people, the comedic genii if you will, are the people who can talk about perfectly normal and ordinary things and make you really laugh.  I heard this little gem on the radio today, and I think it's brilliant.



Yes, that's good old Andy Griffith there, before he was Sheriff Andy Taylor.  Nothing in there is inappropriate or even a little controversial; there's no reason I wouldn't listen to that with a six year-old, and it's hilarious.

In my opinion the best example is what follows, and I think it's one of the funniest things ever been recorded.  Again it's completely clean, kid-friendly, and nothing short of brilliant.  I challenge you to find something funnier that you'd watch with your grandparents.  Ladies and gentlemen, Abbott and Costello!

1 comment:

Kayla said...

While funny, I get super frustrated watching the Abbott and Costello bit! I've been through a couple of similar situations with customers at work---gahhh!!!

Brilliant, though: vulgarity does not always equal humor, and sometimes the best humor is also the cleanest!