Thursday, October 9, 2008

Scopes and barrels?

I was once stopped at airport security while traveling with my pipes; the x-ray technician said it looked like the case contained "a collection of scopes and barrels."  I understand the description, but I still have to crack a smile at the situation.  As mysterious as the instrument may look when disassembled, it's unlikely I would be trying to bring a high-powered sniper rifle onto a plane as a carry on (even though this particular event was pre-9/11), but even so I imagine it's better they examine unknown objects before the explosion rather than after.

Now that I think about it, that was the first time I had taken my pipes through security.  I've done it many times since, and while I've never quite been accused of carrying a firearm on board again, I have gotten some strange looks.  The highlight of my airport security experience (have to make it fun somehow, right?) is trying to predict the reaction when my pipes go under the x-ray.  I've seen a bunch of raised eyebrows, some furled foreheads, a few that call to the supervisor and say "Hey, can you take a look at that?", those that ask me what they are ("Oh cool, can you play them for us?"), and occasionally I'll get no reaction.  About a third of the time they'll search the bag..

So the reason I'm thinking about security at the moment is that I'm packing a suitcase, flying out tomorrow for the Anne Arundel Highland Games in Crownsville, MD.  I'll keep an eye on the security folks and let you know what the reactions are this time.

No comments: