Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's a conspiracy!

I've constantly wondered at McCain's choice of a VP running mate since it was announced.  Sarah Palin has been the governor of the US' least populous state for less than two years, has views on scientific history and education that are questionable at best, and seems to have no sense of where her party actually stands on several issues (like this one), and has famously been ridiculed that the extent of her international relations experience is being able "to see Russia from my house." 

I thought (and still think) that McCain wouldn't be a terrible president, but with his choice of running mate I'm fairly convinced he's shot himself in the foot and there's pretty much no way he's going to get my vote.

But now I realize that McCain's hands were tied, and he actually had no choice in the matter.  There were bigger and far more powerful people pulling strings and aligning the dominoes to fall as they did: the executives of NBC.  They strong-armed McCain into choosing Palin, not for political or financial gain, but simply so they can have Tina Fey portray her on Saturday Night Live. 

The impression is better than pretty good, sometimes I'm not sure who I'm actually watching.  They have the same voice, inflection, gestures, and they both say things so crazy I'm sure no one can actually believe them.  It's eerie.

No comments: