Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The most depressing holiday

Some people claim the most depressing holiday is Christmas or Thanksgiving, where lonely single people see everyone else reveling with family and friends and the weight of their lonelitude and singleness really hits home. Some people say it's Easter or some other good Christian holiday, which adapt old pagan traditions and cause people to lose sight of the Christian meaning of the day. Or maybe Memorial Day or Independence Day, where the sacrifices of those who fought make and keep our country free are lost among parades, fireworks, and cookouts.

But no, to me it's April Fools that's the most depressing holiday. "What?" you say, "How can anyone with a sense of humor like your be depressed by a day of pranks and hoaxes?" Let me explain.

I love a good prank. I love a creative way to have fun at others' expense, like the Swiss Spaghetti Harvest of 1957, weakened gravity for a day, the left-handed Whopper, Alabama passing a law to change the value of pi to the "biblical" value of 3, or a travel section featuring the idyllic island nation of San Serriffe.

The problem is I'm not creative enough to come with any good ones. This leaves me with an outsider's view of the day, where I can appreciate the creativity of others but can't participate myself.

Sigh.

No comments: