Friday, April 11, 2008

Companionship

I'm dogsitting right now for a friend who went down to Boston to visit her daughter. Marg (the friend) asked if I'd watch Ruth (the dog) until she got back on Saturday, and since I like doggies I'm happy to do it.

I'm sitting in an armchair in the living room at the moment, and I found myself wondering why it is that I keep talking to the dog. I mean it's obvious why most people talk to dogs, but Ruthie is entirely deaf. She didn't hear me come in this afternoon and jumped when I walked past her sleeping on the floor. No matter much I say "Hi Ruthie" or "Good girl" or anything like that I know she won't hear me, but I keep talking anyway. Might as well be talking to the wall.

Or not, since the dog has a great deal more personality than the wall, and even though she can't hear me I still get more response than I would from the wall. Not that walls aren't nice, but they're usually rather wallish and not terribly friendly.

No comments: