Saturday, August 16, 2008

Maine Highland Games: Piper of the Day!

I just returned from a day at the Maine Highland Games, and in my solo competitions I seem to have come out pretty well.  The short summary is that I won the overall prize in Grade 2 piping, with a second place finish and two firsts.  Unlike my last piper of the day award I didn't take any photos or video; I didn't take either of my cameras.  The reason for that was twofold, first that there was rain in the forecast and I was there by myself, with no one to hold the camera while I played.  Turned out the weather was great; the sun was out almost all day and the rain held off until the drive home.  But anyway, here's a picture of me at home with my medals and trophy. 


You might say, "Hey, put down your coffee cup and show us the trophy."  Well, that is my trophy.  "Gee, what an odd trophy" is the first thing I said when I opened the box; there's actually nothing trophyesque about it.  It's a ceramic mug.  With blueberries on it.  I'm not saying it's not a nice mug, but it's more of a door prize than a first prize.  When I put it on my trophy shelf it will appear that I have good taste in pottery, which simply isn't the case.  I'm not ungrateful or anything, but it is an odd thing to win in a contest.  Oh well. 

There's a number of other exciting developments from the day, which I will post more information about in the near future.  Aside from that, it's time to get practicing for my next competition... only 35 days until Loon!

No comments: