Friday, July 25, 2008

Will Maxville happen????

Maxville, Ontario is the home of the Glengarry Highland Games, which in turn are the home of the North American Pipe Band Championship contest.  It's without a doubt the biggest games I've seen on this side of the pond, and pipe bands come from all over Canada and the U.S.  It's huge and well-attended, and the beer tent is famous for the amount of revelry involved.  Normally civilized pipers turn into uncivilized hooligans, but that's a different discussion altogether.  It's interesting to see some tens of thousands of pipers, drummers, dancers, athletes, fiddlers, harpists, vendors, and spectators descend on this otherwise small and quiet little town in eastern Ontario, population about 3,000. 


Now I'll step out for a minute to say that the title of the post is misleading.  Maxville will happen.  There's no doubt of that, it will happen rain or shine. 

The real question is whether Maxville will happen for the Keydetpiper.  I registered for the solo piping competitions, and now that the order of play has been posted on the PPBSO's website, it does not contain my name.  I'm not certain that my registration arrived before the deadline.  It was mailed two days prior, but I have no experience with Canada Post, so I can make no guesses. 

Actually this isn't entirely true either; Maxville will happen for the Keydetpiper, since I have obligated myself to play for my friend's drumming competition.  So the Keydetpiper will surely be going to Maxville, but the real real question is whether competitions at Maxville will happen for the Keydetpiper. 

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: