Monday, March 24, 2008

My impure and immature mind

I have this podcast that I listen to from time to time; considering the musical instrument I play this should come as no great surprise. It's well presented, the commentary isn't obstructive or inane, and I get to hear music outside of the "mainstream" of bagpipe and Celtic music out there.

So I'm listening to the St. Patrick's Day episode (part 1) and Marc was talking about Danny Boy. It's not doubt one of the most famous, popular, and widely requested Irish songs, but it turns out most Irish people don't like it. It was written by an Englishman (legend has it he never even went to Ireland) and set to a traditional Irish tune. So what has this to do with the title of the post? I'm glad you asked. It's the title of that Irish tune that has adopted Danny Boy.

It's a slow aire from County Derry. It's called The Derry Aire.

You can't tell me that isn't funny.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Hahahaha!!!! Wow that's amusing! Now that would be the only reason for me learning that tune!